Sunday, May 06, 2007

Why are sitting there?

Many years ago, I was sitting meditating in my room that was at the end of a corridor. Being an extravert I guess, I had left my door open a crack. someome else in the house came by and said why you are just sitting there! Well the other day I read this story of St. Serapion, who wandered around a lot and came to Rome where they asked him to go to see a woman who was, as best I can figure, an anchorite.. People were worried about her. When he got to her, he said why are you sitting there? She answered: I am not sitting, I am on a journey.
If we believe what Jesus said: I am the way, the truth and the life, then we can say that too.
To be a Christian is to be a traveler. We are on a journey to our heart. To our innermost being where God dwells.
In the Acts of the Apostles (19:23ff) we read: "About that time no little disturbance broke out concerning the Way." Actually it bothered people especially a man who made silver shrines to Artemis. In other words, the Way, the people following the way of Jesus, were not contributing enough to the world of trade, not buying enough stuff, not busy buying and selling. As William Wordsworth the poet wrote
"The world is too much with us late and soon, getting and spending we lay waste our powers."
This is something I will explore another time, But for today, it has made me think about how this life is a journey into the depths of our hearts where the Heart of God dwells. A journey into love, A way of life that opens us up to be changed by the Love God has for us so that we may live by love as Jesus did.
This journey into our innermost being has ups and downs, light and darkness, bumps in the road, deserts and mountains., But through it all, there is the constant Presence of God, looking on us with love. We can be sure that nothing can separate us from the love God has for us. This is why we meditate or center. We entrust ourselves to God. We let go of all concerns for 20 minutes as we gently repeat a prayer word. Whenever our mind starts thinking about many things we gently come back to our prayer word.
By saying our prayer word with attention we are really giving our whole attention to the journey!. Let us pray.

No comments: