Thursday, September 20, 2007

"The Lord is with you" Luke 1:29

These are the words of the Angel to Mary whom that angel addressed as one who enjoyed God’s favor. The angel sounds a bit surprised.

Mary is not surprised about these particular words because she knew that God was with her. We have abundant evidence that Mary was a person of prayer. Mary lived the prayer of the heart.

This reality of the Presence of God with us is central to our faith. I think sometimes we say prayers and this is good, for it leads us to open our hearts to God. and then there is prayer which recognizes the intimacy of the Presence of God.. Sometimes we seek psychological states when the greatest reality is that of the Presence of God who looks upon us with love and desires an intimate relationship with each one of us. As it says in the book of Revelation: Behold I am standing at the door, knocking; if you hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in and sup with you, and you with me.”

Christian Meditation or centering prayer, or breath prayers or walking prayer are all ways to give attention to the reality that God is with us; that we open our hearts and minds to the desire that God has for us. Often we need to say to God: I believe you are with me, I believe you love me and seek my response – you are knocking at my inner door. You are asking me to open to you. Here I am Lord, I come to do your will. Or as Mary said: Here am I, the servant of the Lord, let it be with me according to your word.

God then serves us and so there is no longer servant relationship but we are friends. As Jesus Said -–I no longer call you servant I call you friends.

Let us begin each time of prayer with this profound act of Faith You, God of my heart, are with me. I believe You are here, that I live in you always. And You in me. Let us pray.

No comments: